Can Dogs Eat Gummy Bears?

Can a dog eat gummy bears? Most dogs can eat gummy bears as long as it does not contain xylitol or tetrahydrocannabinol. But you need to know that Gummy Candy will not immediately affect your dog, but the sugar itself can be dangerous when consumed in large quantities.

dog eat gummy candy

“My dog ate 3 stale gummy bears. Will he be alright?”-OWNER WITH DOG BOGO

“Thankfully, it is highly unlikely 3 gummy bears will cause any issues with your pet Bogo. Gummy bears don’t normally contain any toxins like xylitol. At worst, you may see a little stomach upset (diarrhea or vomiting), but this should pass. Monitor Bogo and feed a bland diet (i.e. boiled bonelss/skinless chicken and rice or cottage cheese) if he seems to have an upset stomach).”-DESTINI R. HOLLOWAY, DVM,VETERINARIAN

For the Sake of Dog Safety, Let’s Explore This Issue in More Depth.

What is Gummy Candy?

It all started in Germany in the early 1900s when Hans Riegel founded his own company, Haribo, which introduced the first fudge in the German candy market in 1920. The company did not begin producing its fudge in the United States until the early 1980s. This led to other brands, such as Hershey’s and Farley’s, making their versions. Now, there are a variety of iconic desserts, from dinosaurs to fruit roll-ups. Almost half of all gelatin produced worldwide is used to make fondant.


Gummy Candy, which humans love to eat, contains a lot of sugar. Excessive sugar consumption is harmful to both dogs and humans, leading to obesity and elevated sugar levels. Excessive sugar intake over time can also lead to other diseases, such as diabetes, which can significantly shorten your pet’s life span. Dogs need a healthy amount of unprocessed sugar to function properly. They need carbohydrates (broken down into sugar) to survive and function healthily.

Xylitol (In Some Gummy Candies)

Most gummy bears contain sugar, but be extra careful not to let your dog grab it if it is a sugar-free candy. Some sugar-free candies may contain the sugar substitute xylitol. Xylitol is a natural sugar substitute that is highly toxic to dogs. It is found primarily in sugar-free gummy bears and low-sugar treats.

The danger in xylitol is it interacts with your pet’s digestive system. It can absorb into your pet’s bloodstream very quickly and trigger insulin release from the pancreas. It can lead to hypoglycemia. This can also lead to death if left untreated, so it is essential to contact your local veterinarian.

Studies have reported that as low as 0.1 grams of xylitol per kilogram of body weight is enough to cause hypoglycemia in dogs. The amount of xylitol in food can vary by brand, product, and flavor, but even a stick of gum or a few gummy bears can be enough to poison a puppy. Higher doses of xylitol ingested at 0.5 kg/kg have been reported to cause liver necrosis.

Symptoms Of Xylitol Poisoning

Symptoms of xylitol poisoning develop rapidly, usually within 15-20 minutes of consumption. These are some of the signs of xylitol build-up.

  • Vomiting
  • Weakness
  • Depression or drowsiness
  • Lack of coordination or difficulty standing or walking
  • Tremors
  • Seizures
  • Coma

In severe cases, dogs may experience seizures or liver failure. Dogs that develop liver failure usually show signs of hypoglycemia.

Risks Of Gummy Candy



Enjoy this blog? Let's stay connected ;)