Xylitol – An ingredient that should never be in your pet’s food

Xylitol, an artificial sweetener used in many consumables, may not be a huge deal when it comes to human health but when we talk about our pets, it can potentially prove fatal.

The artificial sweetener can be found in a variety of food items, particularly sugar-free chewing gum, mouthwash, toothpaste, vitamin supplements, some peanut butter brands, and many sugar-free or ‘low sugar’ products.

Why your pet should never consume any food with xylitol in it. As a pet owner, you need to make sure that any of the dog or cat food your beloved pet is consuming
contains zero xylitol.

Once the ‘trick and treat’ rituals begin on Halloween, it’s common to see owners letting their pets indulge in some of those sweet treats – completely unaware of the damage they may do to their furry friends.

While it’s very well-known that chocolate is something dogs should never be fed, xylitol is another ingredient that is often found in many sweet foods and ‘treats’. The common sugar substitute has been shown to be highly toxic, even in relatively small quantities.
So, how does it affect pets?



Enjoy this blog? Let's stay connected ;)