Has your furry friend recently lost some weight?
If you’ve been hoping your cat would slim down for some time, this development could come as a welcome surprise. However, any sudden change to your cat’s behavior or appearance is a potential cause for concern.
In this short guide, we’ll go over eight potential reasons behind rapid weight loss in cats. After reading the guide, consult with your veterinarian to better understand the reasons behind your kitty’s slimmer figure.
How do you respond to stress or sadness? Maybe you buy a pint of ice cream—or perhaps you lose your appetite altogether.
Just like us, our feline friends can be sensitive to environmental changes. This, in turn, affects their appetite.
Any of the following could cause stress:
- Moving to a new environment
- Cohabitating with a new pet or new person
- A recent trip to the vet
- Changes to their routine, like an absent person
- Loud noise (construction, parties, etc.)
- Outdoor cats who are visible through the window
If your cat has experienced any of these changes or triggers, they may be more stressed out than you might think. Subtle behavioral changes like decreased appetite or increased marking might be the only telltale signs of your cat’s wellbeing.
Luckily, there are plenty of steps you can take to improve your cat’s stress.
- Help them adjust – If a new pet or person has entered your home, make sure your cat has a safe space to roam and play while they get used to the unique situation. Gradually increase their exposure to the new family member.
- Make changes to the environment – Is something outside causing stress? Invest in new blinds or curtains. If noise is the culprit, consider a noise-canceling fabric. If you’ve recently moved to a new home, create inviting nooks for your pet to hide, preferably decorated with a blanket or bed with a familiar scent.
- Try pet CBD – Add cat CBD to your pet’s routine. Just like us, cats have endocannabinoid systems that interact with the substances found in hemp. CBD can help to soothe this system, promoting relaxation and overall wellness.