When dogs eat mushrooms: What to do?

Whether you have a yard of your own or you take your dog on long walks through the woods, there may be substances which are toxic to dogs within your dog’s reach. And this includes poisonous mushrooms, which in the worst case, can be fatal for your furry friend. So what do you do if your dogs eat mushrooms? Which mushrooms are poisonous to dogs, and what are the symptoms of mushroom poisoning? We’ll cover all that and more in this post!

Can dogs eat mushrooms?

Well, yes and no. The answer is not so simple. Just like you, some mushrooms are safe for dogs and some mushrooms are poisonous for dogs. The most dangerous mushrooms for dogs might be deadly. So most veterinarians advise against letting your dogs eat mushrooms in the wild, even if you try to identify them as safe.

Only a small percentage of mushroom species are toxic. But the ones that are toxic – are really toxic.

To keep your dog safe, don’t let them eat mushrooms found in the wild. Grocery store-bought mushrooms are generally safe for dogs to eat, but leave off the sauces, oil, salt and other spices which can be harmful to dogs. Dogs can eat store-bought mushrooms plain or raw, but don’t really need them in their diet. So why not serve them some of these healthy vegetables for dogs instead?

Are mushrooms poisonous to dogs?

Yes, some mushrooms can be poisonous to dogs just as many are to us humans, too. Poisonous mushrooms that grow in the wild can be extremely difficult to identify, and they can be very dangerous for dogs.

So look out for the following toxic fungi in case your dogs eat mushrooms on your next walk outside. And of course make sure your dog does not eat them!



Enjoy this blog? Let's stay connected ;)