Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) is an organosulfur compound known to benefit joint health. But MSM is also used as a health supplement to treat common ailments for aging dogs. Proven as a safe supplement, MSM can boost your dog’s overall health and immune system.
We’ll explain what MSM is and how it is manufactured, its common benefits, and how owners use MSM for dogs. MSM is a viable antioxidant supplement that can improve your dog’s health and lifespan.
Where Does MSM Come From?
MSM occurs naturally and synthetically. Phytoplankton in the ocean release dimethylsulfide (DMS) gas when they die and decompose. When DMS reacts to oxygen and sunlight, it forms methylsulfonylmethane and other sulfates. The MSM is absorbed into the clouds and dispersed to plants through the rain.
For commercial consumption, MSM is synthetically created from a catalytic reaction of dimethylsulfoxide (DMSO) and hydrogen peroxide. DMSO is created by combining paper mill pulp liquid and sulfur that is distilled and extracted.
While MSM is a popular supplement that is safe to ingest, you should carefully consider how the supplement is manufactured and research the quality and potency before purchasing.
What is MSM for Dogs?
MSM for dogs is a supplement that can restore biological sulfur to the body to improve cell, tissue, and organ function. A great supplement to boost the immune system, MSM also reduces chronic pain in the muscles and joints.
Many dog owners supplement their dog’s diet with MSM or choose dog foods that are high in MSM.
MSM Benefits for Dogs
MSM has several natural benefits:
- Blocks pain impulses in the nerve fibers to reduce chronic joint pain.
- Enhances cortisol activity that reduces inflammation.
- Improves the cellular absorption of essential vitamins and nutrients for longer life.
- It has antioxidant qualities and can reduce the effects of free radicals.
- Enables detoxification for easier digestion and bowel movements.
- Restores elasticity and permeability to cell membranes.
- Eliminates harmful parasites in the intestines.
- Reduces allergy symptoms.
Is MSM Good for Dogs?
MSM for dogs is a great preventative supplement that contributes to your dog’s overall health and longevity. MSM is primarily used for:
MSM reduces the pain, stiffness, and swelling associated with these inflammatory conditions.