Dogs are regarded as man’s closest friends because of their unconditional affection for their owners. By supporting individuals with disabilities, service dogs go above and beyond their typical doggo duties. We at BestVetCare wants to recognize these amazing dogs. As a result, we will be commemorating International Assistance Dog Week.
Significance of International Assistance Dog Week
- International Assistance Dog Week honors remarkable service dogs and the difference they make in the lives of people with disabilities.
- Assistance dogs significantly improve the lives of their human partners by being their greatest friend, serving as their companion, and assisting their owners.
- The holiday week also recognizes the trainers who help these dogs excel at their professions. Trainers put in a lot of time and effort, therefore it’s imperative to recognize and appreciate their efforts.
- The entertaining week also allows us to acknowledge and highlight amazing achievements committed by these diligent support dogs.
- Most importantly, it raises awareness for animals in need. The major purpose is to urge people to aid animals in need.
When is the 2021 International Assistance Dog Week?
Every year on the first Sunday of August, International Assistance Dog Week begins. This year’s celebration week runs from August 1st to August 7th. Make a note of it in your calendar to help raise awareness!
History of International Assistance Dog Week
- This holiday week was developed to honor the hardworking assistance dogs who assist people with disabilities. In 2010, Marcie Davis, a paraplegic herself, founded Paraplegic Awareness Week.
- Dogs began to be used as service dogs in battle in the 1700s. They were given the mission of assisting wounded soldiers throughout Europe.
- Guide Dogs for the Blind, a non-profit organization, was founded in California in 1942. This organization was in charge of establishing connections between blind people and helping dogs.
- The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 permitted service dogs to be guide dogs, signal dogs, or any other sort of help to a disabled person.
- The evolution of assistance dogs throughout the years has led to our society’s appreciation and admiration for these wonderful canines. Finally, we have a week just for them!
Different Kinds of Assistance Dogs
1. Service Dogs
Service dogs are dogs that have been taught to do duties for people who are disabled. These dogs can also be trained by their owners to help them with their wants and requirements.
2. Moral Support Dogs
Dogs bring comfort to persons suffering from various mental and emotional problems through affection and companionship.
3. Therapy Dogs
Therapy dogs are puppies who provide comfort and joy to people who have been impacted by illness or natural calamities. Their presence has a healing effect on people.